How to become a hotshot driver
- Get a valid driver’s license. Hotshot drivers need a basic Class D driver’s license.
- Apply for a USDOT number.
- Purchase equipment.
- Buy liability insurance.
- Build a professional network.
- Search for cargo loads and deliveries.
How do I start a trucking company without driving?
7 Steps for Starting a Trucking Company Without Driving
- Step 1: Prepare Your Business Plan.
- Step 2: Understand the Requirements to Register a Trucking Company.
- Step 3: Financing Your First Truck.
- Step 4: Get Insurance.
- Step 5: Hire CDL Drivers.
- Step 6: Find Loads.
- Step 7: Manage Your Fleet, Customers & Finances.
How much does it cost to start a trucking company?
New trucking company owners can invest somewhere between $10,000 and $20,000 to start a small trucking company with one or two trucks.
Do you need your own truck for hotshot trucking?
First and foremost, hot shot truck drivers need a pickup truck and some kind of flatbed trailer for hauling loads. I recommend getting a dually pickup truck, but that comes down to personal preference.