How to become a hotshot driver
- Get a valid driver’s license. Hotshot drivers need a basic Class D driver’s license.
- Apply for a USDOT number.
- Purchase equipment.
- Buy liability insurance.
- Build a professional network.
- Search for cargo loads and deliveries.
What all do you need to start hotshot?
9 Steps to Starting Your Hotshot Trucking Business
- Open an LLC in Your State.
- Get a Tax ID Number.
- Open a Business Bank Account.
- Get a DOT Physical (and Your Medical Card)
- Get a CDL (Commercial Driver’s License)
- Get Your MVR (Motor Vehicle Record)
- Get TWIC-Transportation Workers Identification Credential.
How much do hotshot loads make?
A well run hotshot trucker in a reasonable location for regular loads can bring in from $60,000 to $120,000 gross income per year, possibly more. Most hotshot’s expenses—fuel, maintenance, insurance, licenses and fees, tolls, etc.
How do hotshot drivers get loads?
As such, many trucking companies and owner-operators make hotshot loads a regular part of their business by simply perusing load boards for available drivers. Popular load boards, such as 123Loadboard, have hotshot and LTL search filters including a mobile app with easy tools to find hot shot loads.